Dr Natasza Styczyńska
Assistant Professor at the Institute of European Studies, Jagiellonian University
Natasza Styczyńska will mostly be involved in Task 4.4. on populist Euroscepticism in Poland. This task investigates the determinants of EU contestation in Poland and assesses the extent to which populist Euroscepticism in Poland is a phenomenon of the political right. Anti-European rhetoric emerged in new postcommunist EU member states alongside European integration, which accompanied the processes of transformation and modernization, but also the general trend of globalisation. Euroscepticism has also often been linked with the populism that appears both in the mainstream and at the margins of the political spectrum. Observation of populist political parties, their rhetoric and initiatives highlights that many populist slogans are, at the same time, anti-European. This is not only the case in newer member states, but also in countries such as Austria, the Netherlands and France, where populists are already in the political mainstream. However, anti-European populism is especially interesting in the case of Poland, a new member state that is the biggest beneficiary of EU funds and one of the most pro-European societies in the EU.
- Styczyńska, N. (2019) ‘Closed until Further Notice: Eurosceptic European party groups of the EP and EU Enlargement Policy Contestation, 2004-2014’ in Góra, M., Styczyńska, N. and Zubek, M. (eds) Contestation of EU Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy. Actors, Arenas and Arguments. Copenhagen: Djof
- Styczyńska, N. (2018) ‘Refugees Not Welcome. The Populist Radical Right in Poland and the Migration Crisis’ in Czerska-Shaw, K., Galent, M. and Gierat-Bieroń, B. (eds) Visions and Revisions of Europe. Göttingen: Universitätsverlag Göttingen
- Styczyńska, N. (2018) Więcej czy mniej Europy? UE i integracja europejska w dyskursie polskich partii politycznych [More or less Europe? EU and European integration in the discourse of Polish political parties]. Krakow: Wydawnictwo UJ
- Styczyńska, N. (2018) ‘Eurosceptic Parties in the Central and Eastern European Countries: A Comparative Case Study of Poland, Hungary and Bulgaria’ in Leruth, B., Startin, N. and Usherwood, S. (eds) The Routledge Handbook of Euroscepticism. Oxford and New York: Routledge
- Styczyńska, N. (2016) ‘Does Europe Matter at All? European Issues in the Discourse of Polish Political Parties’ in Gura, R. and Rouet, G. (eds) Les Citoyens et l’integration europeenne. Paris: L’Harmattan