Dr Vassilis Petsinis
University of Tartu
Follow Vassilis on Twitter at @V_Petsinis
POPREBEL project: ‘The refugee crisis and the populist and radical right in the Baltic States’
Vassilis Petsinis will outline the commonalities, as well as the divergent trajectories, in the emergence of right-wing populist trends in Estonia and Latvia. Particular attention will be paid to the intersections among right-wing populism, Euroscepticism, and ‘old’ (i.e. the question of the Russophone minorities) as well as ‘new’ (i.e. the refugee crisis and LGBT issues) identity-politics in the two societies.
- FORTHCOMING MONOGRAPH: Cross-regional Ethnopolitics in Central and Eastern Europe: Lessons from the Western Balkans and the Baltic States (Palgrave-Macmillan – book contract signed on August 27th, 2020; delivery date: December 31st, 2021)
- ‘Country: Estonia’ in State of Hate Report – Far-right Extremism in Europe 2020, (compiled by the ‘Hope not Hate’ Charitable Trust, UK), 2021, p.p. 76-77.
- ‘Converging or Diverging Patterns of Euroscepticism among Political Parties in Croatia and Serbia’ Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 2019
- National Identity in Serbia: The Vojvodina and a Multi-ethnic Community in the Balkans (I.B. Tauris and Bloomsbury Publishing, London), 2020.
- Petsinis V. (2019) Ethnopolitics Across Central and Eastern Europe in a State of Flux: Time for Updating and Upgrading?. In: Bogdanova O., Makarychev A. (eds) Baltic-Black Sea Regionalisms. Springer, Cham
- ‘Ethnopolitics in Central and Eastern Europe in a State of Flux: Introduction’, Ethnopolitics, Vol. 18, No. 4, 1–4, 2019,
- ‘Identity Politics and Right-wing Populism in Estonia: The Case of EKRE’ in Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, Vol. 2, Issue 2, 2019, (DOI: 10.1080/13537113.2019.1602374).
- ‘Hijacking the Left? The Populist and Radical Right in Two Post-Communist Polities’, in Left Radicalism and Populism in Europe (chapter 8, p.p. 156-180), Routledge Studies in Radical History and Politics.
- ‘Geopolitics, Ethnopolitics and the EU: The Cases of Serbia and Latvia‘ in Ethnopolitics.
- Petsinis, V. and Braghiroli, S. (2019) ‘Between party-systems and identity-politics: The populist and radical right in Estonia and Latvia’, European Politics and Society.
- Petsinis, V. (2014) ‘Eurasianism and the Far Right in Central and Southeast Europe’, Central and Eastern European Review, 8 (1), pp. 1-10
- Petsinis, V. (2015) ‘The ‘New’ Far Right in Hungary: A Political Psychologist’s Perspective’, Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 23(2), pp. 272-287
- Petsinis, V. (2016) ‘Ethnic Relations, the EU, and Geopolitical Implications: The Cases of Croatia and Estonia’, Ethnopolitics, 15 (2), pp. 230-244
- Petsinis, V. (2017) ‘The Banality of Golden Dawn: Return to Political Normality?’, Global Affairs, 3(1), pp. 33-44
Work in Progress: